Thursday, June 11, 2009

A Worthy Goal

Her eyes are cold and restless
Her wounds have almost healed
And he'd give half of Texas
Just change the way she feels

But he knows her love's in Wellston
And he knows she's going back
Well, it ain't no normal bike race
It's that damned old Lumberjack

It may not be the coolest thing to paraphrase the words of former Oklahoma State University javelin thrower, Garth Brooks, but it's a pretty accurate assessment of this week. It's too late to train and too early to pack. All that I can do right now is rest and do a few short intervals. (I'm SO setting a personal best for my one minute power tonight.)

Although Adam officially went on record about his feelings regarding endurance racing this week, he's actually being very supportive. I think he's actually just happy to see me excited about training and racing again. Sure, it would be more convenient for everyone if I could find this kind of motivation for DINO races, but that's just not going to happen.

The other day someone asked me if I was crazy for signing up for the Pisgah Stage Race. The short answer is yes, but the more I thought about it, the more logical it seemed. For someone with my lack of natural talent, winning even local races would be a difficult feat. So I could work really, really hard to accomplish something that's not even that great (I understand it holds more sway if you're a guy) or I could put in the same amount of work to accomplish something that only a few people are even willing to try.

All I know is that for the first time in nine years, I have actually set a goal, stuck to it for over three months, and put in the necessary work day in and day out without fail, no matter how hard it got. I think the key is that I've finally set goals that were achievable, but are still worth achieving, at least to me.

1 comment:

SurlyGirl said...

Good Luck at Lumberjack. It sounds like you have a great attitude toward racing. I've been told many times that I'm crazy because I just jumped into the ultra endurance stuff. But since I'll never be on the podium, it's more about the ride than anything else. If I can come up with the cash I may do Pisgah. I'll be at Lumberjack on a green and pink Surly so maybe I'll run into you.