Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Like a Big Blue Ox


My first week of being able to leave work at 4:00 didn't yield nearly as much outdoor riding awesomeness as I had hoped. In addition to conditions of Jens Factor 3 (Jens Factor became my favorite thing last week) or worse, there was major snow dumpage all Thursday and Friday. More importantly, after a week of big base training in Oklahoma, I was just not that into the idea of coming back for three more weeks in the weight room with high cadence seated sprints as my only structured workouts on the bike. Mostly I was just ready to start using my newly available outdoor riding time to start logging some more significant training hours and start building my aerobic and muscular endurance for the Ouachita Challenge.

So I finally broke down and told Jason how de-motivated I was by my training plan, and begged to move on more base phase like training. I'm not sure if it's accurate to say that I got more than I bargained for, but he pulled no punches in my updated training plan. Tempo, Sweet Spot, bursty-bustiness, big weekend hours, oh my. It's going to be a shock to the system, which is a really good thing. No more uninspired spinning for me; I'm going to be strong as a big blue ox when the season begins.

No comments: