Friday, March 20, 2009

First Mountain Bike Ride of the Year

It seems that Indiana has a wet year/dry year pattern. Luckily, we are scheduled for a dry year this year and seems to actually be working out that way so far. I was able to get in my first mountain bike ride of the year, exactly as my FasCalendar (I like that word) stated. Last year I didn't see any singletrack until I hit the Womble during the Ouachita Challenge. I'm not sure if I will get in the remaining three singletrack sessions that I have scheduled before the OC, but things are looking good for the next one on Sunday and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Unfortunately, I keep forgetting to take pictures now that it is warm enough to handle a camera without the bulk of lobster gloves. My phone was buried in my hydration pack, as I don't trust jersey pockets when I'm riding off-road. Since I was only out for an hour and a half, I didn't want to stop and dig it out.

The ride went better than expected. My mountain bike mojo was low since I'd been off the trail for a few months, but it was still better than I expected. I'm pretty sure I cleaned some rock sections that I never had before. It was the routine logs and roots that I've been riding for years that messed me up. With this, it seems that I have started a tradition:

For three years in a row, on my first ride of the year at Brown County, I have managed to ram into some seemingly innocuous object, come to a stop, nose wheelie, bang the top of my quads on the handlebars and bruise them, and come back down embarrassed but more or less unscathed. Last night it involved a roughly four-inch diameter log; I'm not sure how that happened.

No comments: