Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Finding the Right Words


Yesterday I spent a fair amount of time reading various responses to my weekend's race by blog comment and email. I also spent some time catching up on my blog-reading and reacting to other peoples' race reports from the weekend.

It's unfortunate that Hallmark doesn't make a "I'm sorry for your race" card, because it's really hard find the right thing to say in those situations. I don't want to you be a downer, but there's also the reality that, for the person involved, the only cure for a bad race is a good race (or good workout at least).

Of course, bad races aren't the only times I don't know what to say. There are also the cases where I want to say "Good job!", but a bunch of people have already said that and I can't think of anything new or cool. There's really of whole plethora of situations where I want to say something, but everything I can think of is trite and/or unoriginal.

So I have come up with the perfect blog comment, although I'm not sure if I'll ever use it: "So I read your blog and I care what's going on in your life. I hope that knowing this will make you feel good."

That's pretty much what I'm trying to say most of the time.

No comments: