Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Recipe of the Week

This one is adapted from the January issue of Prevention magazine, but I added some of my own touches.






Hungarian Potato Paprika Soup

3-4 pounds russet potatoes, coursely diced with skin still on
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 large onion
2 handfuls baby carrots or 2 large carrots, shredded
8 oz turkey smoked sausage, diced
4-6 cups vegetable or chicken broth, depending on desired consistancy
2 Tbsps fresh dill or 1 Tbsp dried
1-2 Tbsp paprika*
1 tsp celery seed
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1 cup milk of your choice

*This will depend on your tastes and what is available at your grocery store. The original recipe called for 1 Tbsp smoked paprika and 1 tsp hot paprika, but I could not find "hot paprika" in my regular grocery store. I did, however, have "Smoked Hot Spanish Paprika" from my local international market. Most of their spices are purchased in bulk and broken up into 3-4 ounce portions, so there is no brand on them. I use 2 Tbsp of this paprika in my soup, but my husband, the king of hot sauce, complained about the slow burn of my last batch. So use what you can find and what tastes good. If nothing else, use plain old sweet paprika mixed with cumin in a 1:1 ratio, add a little cayenne for heat and you should be good to go.

Directions:

Boil potatoes in large stockpot with salted water until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain, mash roughly, and set aside.

Heat olive in stockpot over medium heat. Add onions and carrots and saute until tender. Add remaining ingredients and warm through.

Wow, that was easy!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I may have to make a pot of that this weekend.