Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Recipe of the Week


Since I like to talk about all the bad stuff I like to eat I thought I'd change things up today and talk about what I eat when I'm eating healthy. My meal plan is pretty simple, as I have the same breakfast every morning and don't cook during the workweek. I usually make a large batch of something on Sunday and have it for lunch for the rest of the week. Here is one of my winter favorites:

Southwest Pumpkin Black Bean Soup

1 large onion, diced
2 TBSP olive oil
2 TBSP chili powder
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp dried oregano
8 cups (2 big rectangular carboard containers) chicken or vegetable stock
2 15 oz cans of black beans
1 15 oz can pumpkin puree
2 tsp minced garlic
2 TBSP minced cilantro (you can usually find tube of minced fresh herbs in the produce section)
2 TBSP lime juice

Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add onions, chili powder, cumin, oregano and cook until onions are slightly soft. If the onions start to brown as soon you put them in the pan, your heat's too high. Once onions are soft, add stock, beans, and garlic and bring to a boil (uncovered). Once soup has come to a boil, add pumpkin, cilantro, and lime, turn heat to low, and cook 3-5 minutes until heated through.

I someones like to add a cup or so of frozen corn kernals and/or a diced zucchini to increase the veggie content of this dish. These should go in the same time as the beans.

No comments: