Thursday, July 31, 2008

I Haz a Power Meter. What Doez I Do Wif It?

Yes, after all the dreaming, debating, motivating, and demotivating, I have a power meter. I wanted to get myself a gift to celebrate the end of class and my return to training and since I was able to purchase a used basic model (not wireless) from an anquaintance for $350, it seemed like a reasonable thing to do. It's roughly a third of what I expectly to spend on a new top-of-the-line model, but this one will do everything I need it do. The wireless thing wouldn't have really helped that much anyway, because I don't have multiple bikes to switch it around on.

My first field test is Saturday. I don't expect much since I'm horribly out of shape at the moment, but it will give me a baseline to work with and make me feel really good after the huge improvement I will inevitable have on my second test in a few weeks. Other than a slight fear that my FTP will be 98 watts or something, I'm excited. Hopefully it will turn out to be the priceless investment that I've been dreaming of for over a year now. If not, at least I got a good deal.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Best cash I've spent! You're gonna love it, and it provides so much valuable info. Don't worry about your FTP because you can raise it. I'm excited for you.

Sarah said...

How was the test? Not as bad as you thought, huh, I bet.