Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The Hobbit Diet

"They would enjoy at least seven meals a day, when they can get them – breakfast, second breakfast, elevenses, luncheon, afternoon tea, dinner and (later in the evening) supper." - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobbit#Lifestyle

Ever since I started working full time I've tried to keep myself on a steady five meal a day schedule: breakfast when I wake up, snack halfway through the morning, lunch at 12, snack halfway through the afternoon, and dinner when I can get it, which can be anywhere between 4:30 and 8:30 p.m., depending on my workout schedule. Basically, I am usually hungry when I leave work, but on training days I either ignore it or tamp it down with some gel, depending on the intensity. I've pretty much had to deal with annoying, probing questions from co-workers ever since I adopted the practice.

I think there must be something about it that is out of line with American culture that I just don't understand. What do call these magical interim meals? They must have a label. It drove me nuts when someone would try to refer to my 10 a.m. veggies and hummus as either breakfast (yuck) or lunch, because I couldn't understand how it could be misconstrued as an actual meal. It was just something to keep my blood sugar stable.

Today my appetite is even more hobbit-like than usual. I had my normal breakfast at 5:45, and I was already craving my banana and mixed nuts by 9:00, so I gave in. At 10:00, I was hungry again, so I got a cranberry walnut salad from the BBC, which has plenty of appetite suppressing protein, fat, and fiber, but I was hungry for lunch by 12:15. Too bad my eating times and food choices don't quite line up with the hobbit scheme; 11:00 seems to be the only time I didn't feel hungry.

1 comment:

Angela said...

I know what you mean! I refer to my interim meals as 9:00 snack and 2:00 snack--regardless of when I actually eat them. The 9:00 snack is the worst, though, b/c I'm usually hungry by 10:00. Oops.