Monday, December 10, 2007

Transition 2

So I just finished up my "transition period" for the beginning of the 2008 season. Today marks the 19th day in a row that I've done exactly what Coach Dave has assigned to me. This is a big thing for two reasons: 1) Consistancy has always been my achiles heal when it comes to training. 2) After 9 months of working with Coach Dave, I finally trust him enough to do what he tells me. It seems like this has really kicked in now that the pressure of the USGP is gone. I spent the whole year with a "I need to be fast NOW" attitude. Well, I'm pretty sure that did me more harm that good, so I'm enjoying the walk into 2008.

I can't really say I'm particularly rested physically from the transition period, but mentally I am. I'm feeling very confident in my ability to do what I need to do this season that that will be enough to achieve my goals. Here's a rundown of the last 19 days:

6 rest days
4 run days
3 plyometric workouts
3 easy one hour recovery rides
2 crazy-hard trainer workouts
1 three mountain bike ride

So that's how I came to be mentally rested but waddling around like a duck, a combination of resting a lot but using many muscles that have not been used in quite some time. I seem to be adapting pretty well and after one last rest day today I'm moving back into a more cycling specific schedule. I can tell Coach Dave is holding me to the "one day at a time" thing and keeping my future workouts pretty closed to his chest. I've got workouts scheduled through Sunday, then nothing but my strength workouts blocked out for the next couple of months. I guess I need to just keep taking care of business and take it one day at a time.

No comments: