Sunday, March 6, 2011

Never Had It So Good

Now you can do what you want to
And never feel sad
You've never had it so good, babe
I've never had it so bad

I'm not really sure who the singer would be in this situation, but the chorus of this song has definitely resonated with me the last few weeks. In total, I'm three weeks into "Project Crossfit", and I did my fourth post-surgery bike ride this afternoon. I had a nice little plan laid out, but my body is really dictating my schedule more than my plan. And when you're the person who "can do what they want to and never feel sad", it all works out just fine.

For example, last weekend my Thursday Crossfit session left me completely trashed, so I decided to take the weekend off and just go in Monday instead of Tuesday. I rested Friday and thought I would ride both Saturday and Sunday, but when I woke up Saturday morning it was grey and in the 30's and I just did not feel good. So my workout was this, plus this:


Rather than forcing myself to ride when I was carrying a bunch of fatigue and no desire, I compromised by still getting in some physical activity by walking a couple of laps around the park and even playing on the swings a bit. The next day was sunnier and warmer, and I had no trouble getting myself out for a short road ride.

I'm still working my way up to the planned schedule of Crossfit on Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday, with cycling on Wednesday and Saturday, because managing my fatigue level is my top priority right now. I like feeling healthy and motivated for the first time in months, and I'm not about to mess that up for some short term gains. I've set a goal of peaking for the The Unnamed Epic on August 27, to which I will commit 16 weeks of dedicated training after I complete my experiment in achieving as much Crossfit mastery (and hopefully some visible muscles) as I can by May 8th. However, unlike years past, my real goal for the season is to maintain the "never had it so good" feeling that I have now, and not getting bogged down with burnout silliness.

No comments: