Friday, April 16, 2010

Killing Me Softly

(Pretty tree, not my house)

This spring has been without a doubt the most beautiful since I moved to Bloomington and started mountain biking. There have been almost no un-mountain-bikeable days since early March, when 4 or 5 is normally excellent in March and 50% is usually good in April. The flowers and the trees are gorgeous, with the exception of the poor tulips in my yard that seem to be stunted this year. This weather is great except for one thing.

It's killing me. Okay, that's not totally true, but for the last week I've not been able to get on board with all the Facebook and Twitter posts about how nice it is outside, because I've been stuck inside with a horrible allergy/cold thing. I'm not sure what it is, but pollen is a definite player. The thing is that I've never had allergies before, except for a random sniffle and sneeze here and there. From a nose perspective, that's all that I have now. However, the sore throat that I got last Friday turned into severe sore throat which move to an itchy, scratchy, irritated feeling down in my chest and I'm having a heck of time shaking. I got allergy medicine from the doctor on Tuesday, but I'm still having a hard time getting well, so I'm wondering if it's some sort of germ and pollen perfect storm. The only thing that has really helped was staying home from work yesterday and doing absolutely nothing, including trying not move too fast, breathe through my mouth, or speak above a whisper. I'm improved, but not out of the woods, so I'm trying the same approach today.

It's frustrating not being able to do anything when the weather is so nice, especially since Syllamo's Revenge is only two weeks away now and I just missed a key week of training. (Vo2 max cycle is favorite.) I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I get well soon so that I can actually enjoy the beauty outside instead of being afraid of it.

1 comment:

cheryl said...

Lindsay - I have had the worst training I've ever had for the past month, I think its highly attributable to the spring pollen, etc, because my hr spikes and I have asthma attacks ever time I head outside for a hard workout. ugh. I go to the dr next week. It can't come too soon. good luck!